Dean of School of Law
School of Law
Type of Position
Mar 01, 2024
KIMEP University is looking for applicants to the following position:
Post Title: Dean
Academic Unit: School of Law
Reports to: The Vice President for Academic Affairs (VPAA)
Main Purpose of the Post:
To provide strategic leadership and strategic management in the academic and operational development of the College
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administers Department heads, faculty, staff and students of college.
- Approves: work curriculum and syllabuses for disciplines; the catalog of electives; individual academic schedules of students.
- Organizes and conducts professional orientation and hiring procedures for college.
- Supervises scheduling of classes, examinations, tests, and supervises their execution.
- Monitors and regulates organization of academic process, academic workshops and professional internships.
- Makes a notion for student transfer from one year of study to the next. Admits students to examinations.
- Gives permission to take or re-take term examinations early.
- Ensures implementation of University-wide policies and regulations within the College
- Ensures the proper use and allocation of all resources - physical, information, human and financial, including delivering the plan within budget.
- Contributes fully to the University's corporate planning and communications processes and lead the development of College Plans, including the setting of income generation targets.
- Is responsible for the management of all staff in the College including, the maintenance of a safe and healthy working environment.
- Chairs the College Council and to uphold and promote the University's mission, vision and values.
- Assures the academic quality of academic processes and outputs (research, consultancy and teaching and learning), the maintenance of academic standards, and ensure a fair and appropriate service to students.
- Acts as an ambassador for the College and the University to appropriate employers and other bodies, policy makers and other stakeholders.
- Operates as a member of the President’s Cabinet.
- Undertakes such duties as may be commensurate with the post as required from time to time by the VPAA or his/her proxy.
- Organizes and implements innovative learning technologies, as well as the use of teaching aids.
- Works to strengthen and develop material and technical facilities of college.
- Brings to the College Advisory Board issues related to improving educational process as well as student training.
- Develops a strategy for the development of the college.
- Strengthens and develops external communications with employers and educational authorities.
- Examines educational and labor markets for majors provided at college.
- Supervises academic, educational and scientific work of college. Heads development and implementation of educational and vocational programs, curricula, academic course programs as well as all accreditation efforts.
- Organizes development of scientific-methodological and academic-methodological support of academic process.
- Develops intercollege quality system of professional education.
- Holds College Councils at least 4 – 6 times a year.
- Holds regularly scheduled meetings with Associate Deans and Chairs
- Monitors staffing at departmental and college levels
- Ensures course planning and teaching allocations are made before teaching commences
- Assesses and prioritises resource needs
- Monitors all project work within college reporting to as appropriate
- Monitors and advise upon expenditure
- Oversees the supervision of lecturers and memoire/ dissertation supervisors
1 course per year
- Terminal degree (i.e., PhD or JD) from a recognized, accredited university
- Minimum five years of experience at the college level administration preferably: at relevant position of Associate Dean or Dean.
- Minimum five years teaching experience;
- Prior management ability of faculty & administrative teams;
- Fluent in English;
- Ability to work with complicated agenda and demanding deadlines successfully
- Proficient with all forms of communication technology
- The candidate will be ready to address a wide array of issues and will be comfortable representing the College in a public forum
Ideally, the candidate will be ready to address a wide array of issues and can represent the college and university in a public forum.
- Rank of Associate Professor
- International experience including Central Asia and Kazakhstan
- Ability to speak Kazakh and/or Russian
Please submit your application and the following documents (use the "Apply" button above):
-Filled and submitted application form via HR Portal.
- Attach a full CV.
- A Cover letter that indicates the position applied for, how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications and salary expectations gross in KZT.
- Please indicate your 2-3 referees' contact details at the HR Portal application form.Only shortlisted candidates's referees would be contacted directly; if you have the recommendation letters you may also attach them to your application.
Closing date for submission of applications is March 1, 2024.
Personal data provided by applicants will be kept confidential and used for recruitment purposes only.
Only shortlisted candidates will be informed and invited for interviews by the Selection Committee.